Happy Friday Everyone!
This week’s featured Muley comes from our Documentation team! Robin Pille is the Technical Writer that helps make our Mule Documentation awesome. When she’s not immersed in a book or munching on a baguette, she’s probably out dancing the lindy hop.
First thought that came to mind when you looked into the mirror today?
- I wish I had time to iron this blazer.
How did you find MuleSoft?
- MuleSoft found me.
How did you first get interested in your field?
- My background is in educational publishing in editorial and project management roles, and I gravitated there after graduation because I love learning new things and helping other people learn new things. Technical writing is a natural extension of those interests, except now I’m spending much more time researching and writing content from scratch rather being on the editorial side.
What exactly do you do?
- I write and edit user guides, examples, and reference materials for all aspects of the Mule platform. I work on a small team of writers, and we prioritize writing tasks, then divide and conquer to produce as much helpful content as quickly as possible.
How was the interview process?
- I hadn’t interviewed for a new job in many years, so I was absolutely out of practice and was pretty nervous about it. Luckily, the team here is so friendly and professional that interview process felt smooth and natural.
What was your first job?
- I helped out at my dad’s small store that sold imported Indonesian antiques. Once, I was the only one there and a customer actually came into the store. I sold one big brass gong and three sarongs. That was a good day.
What’s a typical day like for you?
- Day to day, the writing projects that I’m working on can vary a lot, but there’s always some amount of asking lots of questions of my colleagues all over the world via Skype to get my head around a concept. I also spend a lot of my time either drafting new pages for new features or updating existing pages with the latest and greatest information. Some days I spend a lot of time testing out the products to work through the steps so that I can provide a full example that will help illustrate functionality for users.
Biggest challenge of the day?
- Trying to adjust my Maven settings so that I can run a new archetype.
Best perk of being at MuleSoft?
- The people. I love working with all my colleagues and am constantly amazed and inspired by their commitment to overcoming all obstacles to execute on a vision, whether that vision is a new feature in Studio that makes users’ lives easier or an ambitious new platform for managing the entire API lifecycle.
Biggest challenge since you’ve been at MuleSoft?
- Understanding OAuth. Actually, I still don’t really understand it, but I’m getting closer!
What’s something new you learned today?
- Today I learned how to install a virtual machine.
- I love to read and am very active on goodreads.com. I read all sorts of books and try to write thoughtful reviews so that I don’t forget my reading experience. I also enjoy lindy hop. San Francisco is a great place to take dance classes and enjoy social dancing with an enthusiastic crowd.
If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- It would be awfully convenient to be able to teleport anywhere in the world instantaneously. I love to travel! But, on the other hand, having to take long plane flights does give me lots of time to read.
Favorite food you could eat everyday if you had to?
If you weren’t doing what you’re doing, what would you do?
- I’d write novels. Probably dystopian fiction or sci-fi/fantasy. Or children’s books. As Madeleine L’Engle said, “You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”
If you could have any pet in the world, what would you want?
- I actually already have my ideal pets: my two cats Michiko and Saskia. They’re adorable and perfect.
Most memorable moment at MuleSoft?
- Also my most embarrassing moment – It involves singing… about APIs. Did I mention I’m kind of a nerd?
That’s it for this week’s Meet a Muley! Check back next week for more!
Interested in working with talented people? Think you’re a superstar and have what it takes? Visit our MuleSoft Careers page to check out our latest openings.