This week we chatted with one of our Sr Javascipt UI Engineers, Emma Guo. Read on to learn more about her love for AngularJS, zombie makeup, and Ted. Yes, that angry teddy bear Ted.
- How can I get ready in 10 minutes? (Even though I know it’ll still take 30)
What exactly do you do?
How did you first get interested in your field?
- My background is slightly different than for most front-end web developers. I always liked building things since I was a little kid, and later decided to major in electrical engineering as an undergrad. At some point I became very interested in the software development side of things, especially UI related. When I realized that, I decided to get a Master’s Degree in Information Technology from CMU (Carnegie Mellon University). It was the perfect thing for me.
How did you find MuleSoft?
- LinkedIn and CrunchBase. I was also very excited about innovative B2B software. I liked MuleSoft’s vision of solving big integration problems and I wanted to be part of that. Then I checked out a couple of videos on Crunchbase, and it seemed like a very fun place to work. I really liked the video, ‘Core of the Developer,’ and the hackathon they mentioned in that video looked super cool.
How was the interview process?
- It was pretty cool. I had two rounds of onsite interviews. First round was with the hiring manager and some team members. Very technical. Second round was with our CEO Greg. It was surprising because MuleSoft is not that small of a startup and Greg still interviews everyone. I knew immediately that this was a company that was focused on hiring good people.
Is it difficult working in multiple timezones?
- No, not at all. It would definitely be nicer if all of us were in the same location, but we don’t have a problem working together like this. Hey, it’s 2014, technology makes it easy to collaborate. Also we visit each other all the time. I’m very excited about my upcoming trip to BA.
What’s a typical day like for you?
- When I get to the office in the morning, first thing I do it check my email. Then I get coffee and some delicious english muffins with cream cheese (I know, I know, most people eat bagels with cream cheese, but I like english muffins better). Then I start writing code, then some more code, and finally, more code. From time to time I meet with designers and project manager to discuss new requirements and designs.
Best perk of being at MuleSoft?
- Working with smart people who also care about the company and writing excellent code.
What’s something new you learned while being at MuleSoft?
- All sorts of best practices in AngularJS. I had lots of experience with jQuery and Backbone.js before I joined MuleSoft. Angular was something new for me, but it was pretty easy to pick it up. However, as a good developer, it is not just about making something work, but about making it work using the best practice. So I started reading about all kinds of best practices people use to write Angular directives, services and factories etc. I love reading about those things and applying them to CloudHub. By the end of the day, I can confidently say I not only complete my tasks, but I write excellent code with 100% unit test coverage.
- “Don’t stop believin’.” Just kidding… It’s “Don’t eat yellow snow”.
- When I had just gotten my driver’s license, I told my friends something was wrong with my Garmin GPS. It kept saying ‘recalculating’… I was just always getting lost.
- Food + lots of sleep + coding/reading + movie + mani/pedi + hiking + more food
Favorite food you could eat everyday if you had to?
- Shabu Shabu and Shanghai soup dumplings. But eating them everyday might be a little too much…
If you weren’t doing what you’re doing, what would you be doing?
- I would probably be a neurosurgeon, or a chef, or a fashion designer, or a special makeup artist for stuff like the Walking Dead. I’m very much a creative person and I’ve got a passion for all kinds of different things.
If you could have any pet in the world, what would you want?
- John Bennett’s teddy bear from the movie Ted, if that counts…
Favorite karaoke song?
- The Show by Lenka. I like to sing it when I’m driving by myself. Probably the culprit of my constantly getting lost.
If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- I would love to be able to travel to any place in the world in the blink of an eye so that I could visit my family and friends whenever I want. Plus I could commute to work with no traffic! And enjoy 100% of my vacation at the destination instead of on an airplane.
Anything else you’d like to share?
- These depict exactly what happens in my real work environment.
When we agree to drop support for an archaic browser:
and Fixing a huge bug with a single line of code:
We hope you enjoyed this week’s Muley post! As always, let us know in the comments below if you’d like to heard from a particular team or if you have any questions you’d like to ask our Muleys. Check back next week for another exciting post!