SAP provides a number of elements, data structures, and modules to enable integration with its solutions. Below is a summary of the various approaches, all of which are supported by MuleSoft’s Anypoint Platform.
Intermediate Documents (IDocs)
IDocs is a standard data format defined by SAP for the exchange of information between SAP and non-SAP applications. IDocs are typically used when information needs to be sent to or from SAP without notification requirements, primarily used to transfer master data in and out of SAP. For example, using IDocs, you can retrieve suppliers, cost centers, activity types, logistics information such as a bill of materials, and much more.
Business application programming interface (BAPI)
BAPIs are defined interfaces that can be called either by either SAP or non-SAP applications, typically in synchronous scenarios. For example, if an organization needs to manipulate its cost center from an external application, BAPIs allow for retrieving a list of profit or cost centers, and even creating new ones. Likewise, a customer could use BAPIs to plan new orders or change existing ones. There are hundreds of BAPIs available that provide a broad set of functions for SAP integration.
SAP Java Connector (JCo)
SAP JCo facilitates communication between an SAP backend system and a Java application, allowing Java programs to connect to SAP systems and invoke Remote Function Modules. JCo also allows parsing of IDocs, among other object types, and supports synchronous, transactional, queued, and background RFC.
SAP Netweaver Gateway exposes data as REST or OData APIs, and SAP supplements the data types that are used from the ABAP Data Dictionary. Typically, an OData service is built based on BAPIs, meaning that the BAPI is exposed and consumed using the OData format.
Advanced business application programming (ABAP)
ABAP as a foundation for many applications offers a broad range of integration and connectivity technologies for remote SAP and non-SAP systems. Universal internet protocols, such as HTTP(S), and data formats, such as XML and SOAP, can be used as well as SAP-proprietary protocols and formats such as RFC/BAPI, IDoc, and ALE/EDI. Developers can expose ABAP-based functionality as a web or enterprise service by publishing the service definition in the Enterprise Service Repository, creating a server-side proxy, and implementing the service using the ABAP programming language.
MuleSoft’s SAP integration tools
A leading platform for SAP integration, Anypoint Platform helps you connect SAP’s on-premise and cloud-based solutions, SAP middleware, third-party legacy systems, and modern, best-of-breed technologies. To do so, MuleSoft provides a library of over 50 SAP integration assets, including SAP-certified connectors and integration templates between SAP and common endpoints such as Salesforce and Workday. We also provide over 200 total integration assets to connect to the other systems in your technology stack.
- Account System API – SAP Implementation Template
- Salesforce and SAP Account Customer Bidirectional Sync
- SAP to Salesforce Product Material Broadcast
- SAP to Salesforce Product Material Migration
- SAP to Workday Employee Migration
- SAP to Workday Organization Migration
- SAP to Salesforce Customer Broadcast
- Salesforce and SAP Account Aggregation
- SAP to Salesforce Contact Migration
- SAP to Workday Organization Broadcast
- SAP to Salesforce Contact Broadcast
- SAP to Salesforce Customer Migration
- Salesforce to Salesforce, Workday, SAP, and Database Account Broadcast
- Salesforce and SAP Product Bidirectional Sync
- Workday to SAP Worker (Employee) Migration
- Salesforce to SAP Opportunity Broadcast
- Salesforce to SAP Opportunity Migration
- Salesforce to SAP Account Migration
- Salesforce to SAP Account Broadcast
- Salesforce to SAP Product Broadcast
- Salesforce and SAP Product Aggregation
- Workday and SAP Worker (Employee) Aggregation
- Workday to SAP Worker Broadcast
- Workday and SAP Organization Aggregation
- Salesforce and SAP Opportunity Aggregation
- Account Migration Process API
- Account System API – Database Implementation Template
- Product API | Hybris Implementation Template
Read our SAP integration best practices whitepaper for details on how MuleSoft can accelerate your SAP integrations, upgrade to S/4HANA, and build a future-proof architecture on-premises, in the cloud, or in a hybrid environment.