Many modern applications are built using microservices. The reasons are well documented: microservices are smaller, targeted applications that foster agility and are much easier to manage. However, as more microservices are built, often with different languages and deployment models, organizations end up with complex environments that can be costly and difficult to operate. This complexity can stifle innovation, negating the promise of microservices.
One major step organizations can take to realize the benefits of a microservices architecture is to eliminate the overhead from managing these disparate services. To do this, service mesh frameworks, like Istio, have emerged to abstract the governance considerations behind microservices architectures, and increase application resiliency and security. However, a service mesh alone does not solve all challenges in the microservices lifecycle.
Organizations still need a way to easily publish and reuse microservices across teams and to consistently enforce security and control traffic across every service in the enterprise, regardless of language, domain, or deployment model.
To help organizations bring consistent management and security to any service, MuleSoft is announcing the Anypoint Platform October 2019 release, featuring Anypoint Service Mesh, which goes into beta in mid-October and will GA in early 2020.
Anypoint Platform October 2019 release includes:
Anypoint Service Mesh
Anypoint Platform already brings full lifecycle API and service-management capabilities for apps and microservices built on Mule runtime engine. Now, with Anypoint Service Mesh, you can discover, manage, and secure any service deployed to Kubernetes — no matter what language it is built in. By extending Anypoint Platform’s single control plane through Istio, an open source service mesh technology, customers can now:
- Discover what microservices are available and how they work together.
- Visualize microservice dependencies using the application network graph.
- Maximize adoption and reuse by adding microservices to Anypoint Exchange.
- Centrally manage and scale any service.
- Ensure resiliency across microservices with Istio traffic control policies.
- Measure and optimize performance across all microservices with API analytics.
- Enable security by default.
- Implement mutual TLS for all traffic with Istio and Envoy policies to build a zero-trust network.
- Automatically enforce access controls on microservices exposed outside the service mesh.
Anypoint Partner Manager
Connect, transform, and route B2B transactions with Anypoint Partner Manager. Perform business transactions with trading partners and suppliers leveraging pre-defined message formats: X12, EDIFACT, Rosettanet, and Tradacoms EDI messages over AS2, FTPS, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, and JMS.
- Integrate modern APIs and EDI on one hybrid platform.
- Provide end-to-end visibility across B2B transactions and backend integrations.
- Accelerate B2B mappings with partner templates.
This release also features significant enhancements to:
- Anypoint Flow Designer:
- Get started quickly with 18 new templates for Jira, Email, Salesforce, Slack and more.
- Simplify access by reusing system connections across multiple projects.
- Review flow change history and restore previous versions with ease.
- Anypoint Studio 7.4 (coming soon):
- Scaffold both RAML and OAS specifications.
- Add API specs and fragments to projects with native Exchange search.
- Generate data for integration tests based on live execution using new test recorder.
- Access Management (coming soon):
- Manage permissions with teams that reflect company structure.
- Easily grant access to projects, assets, and deployments using teams.
- Provide multiple SSO options based on team needs.
- Anypoint Visualizer (coming soon):
- Gain real-time visibility into your security posture.
- Confirm security controls are in place from the Edge to individual APIs.
- Government Cloud: Develop, deploy, manage, and monitor integrations and APIs in the cloud with an industry-leading, FedRAMP-compliant iPaaS.
- New/updated Connectors
- Amazon S3 Glacier
- Google Analytics
- Oracle JDE
- S/4HANA Cloud
- OAuth support
- SOAP API support
- 12 templates